"The Fog of War" by Errol Morris (2003)
"The Station Agent" by Thomas McCarthy (2003)
In collaboration with IESAV and the Cultural Section of the American Embassy in Beirut, Beirut DC organized two exclusive screenings, consisting of documentary film "The Fog of War" by Errol Morris, and feature film "The Station Agent" by Thomas McCarthy.
"The Fog of War" is the recipient of several prestigious awards and nominations, including:
1. Academy Award for Best Documentary (2003)
2. Official Selection for Cannes Film Festival
3. Centerpiece Selection in New York Film Festival
4. Official Selection for Toronto Film Festival
"The Station Agent" also the winner of numerous major awards:
1. Best Screenplay and Audience Award for Drama in the Sundance Film festival
2. Special Jury Prize at the San Sebastian Film Festival
3. Special Jury Prize at the Marrakech Film Festival
Both films were made by renowned figures of American independent cinema. As a matter of fact, screenwriter and director Thomas McCarthy and producer Robert May were invited for the screening, and participated in a debate discussing the strengths and weaknesses of American independent cinema today. The debate took place on the 20th of March 2004 in Theatre Beryte in IESAV, and the films were shown in Cinema Empire-Sofil on the 19th and 20th of March 2004.